Author Topic: CNv NAV Display (shipping now)  (Read 4588 times)

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
CNv NAV Display (shipping now)
« on: June 12, 2014, 10:50:48 AM »
A  new  option for the CNv vario – can be used either as a supplement to the standard display or as a replacement.  With an XC software license you can have a completely independent task management screen while keeping vario info on the standard display.  For the many fans of the CAI303, the CNv Nav display will be immediately welcome and familiar in your panel  and it has the added advantage that you can use the new Flight Screen with its integrated vario, navigation and wind information as your primary screen. 

• Easy to see and read, easy to use, easy to install
    • Super high contrast reflective LCD,  low power consumption and wide temperature range
    • Can  be mounted over an existing 57MM hole or on a stalk (available separately)
    • Simple user interface controlled by five buttons

• New Flight Screens for cruise, climb plus moving map to give the pilot more information for optimizing performance:

• Available for both Club and  XC licenses but navigation functionality is limited to Get Home with Club license

Specifications

• 5/8” (16 mm) thick and 2.6“ x 2.6” (66 mm x 66 mm)
  • Weight 2.3 Oz (65 g)
  • Screen  diagonal  2.7” (68 mm)
  • Resolution 400 x 240
  • Operating temperature range -20C to +70C
  • 70 mA typical current

Important Note:  Additional  features are planned for the moving map display.  Currently TP geometry is  limited to FAI sectors and 0.5 km circles.  No cylinders (Start, Finish, Area).  Manual advance to next task point.  No terrain, culture, or airspace.

Pricing

• For customers owning a CNv vario (XC or Club) on or before July 01 2014: $425
  • After July 01 customers may specify either the original mechanical  pointer display, or the new Nav display at the same system price of $2,350.
  • After July 01 customers may choose to purchase a system with both display options for $2,900 and any existing customer can add a Nav display for $550.
Evan Ludeman / T8

daltonmark

Re: CNv NAV Display (shipping now)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 01:47:57 PM »
I tried this display recently and I have to say, the screen is remarkable readable in all light conditions.  The only thing that is stopping me buying one is that I can't get used to there being no 'negative' deflection of the moving triangle.  This is useful in the cruise if you are flying block speeds (and therefore not using the 'push-pull' indicator on the cruise screen) because it gives you an indication of gradually improving rising air (along with a gradually rising audio, of course).  It also would be useful in wave, ridge, or street flying, where otherwise the cruise screen would be displayed.  STF is probably less useful in these 3 conditions and the climb screen (with a moving triangle that could go negative) would be better IMHO..

Mark

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 01:21:12 PM »
IIRC the scale auto - resets if the vario pointer value is negative. 

As well you have digital STF display and a highly configurable cruise "averager" that can be set to short time constants and used as either a netto or relative netto vario.

There will likely be some software tweaks to this product in the next several months too.
Evan Ludeman / T8

daltonmark

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 12:51:55 AM »
'IIRC the scale auto - resets if the vario pointer value is negative.'

What do you mean Evan?  What is IIRC, and are you saying that in sink (and with the 'climb' screen showing), the left hand scale changes to one that incorporates negative numbers?  If so , this could answer my questions.

Best wishes
Mark

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 08:57:46 AM »
Winter approaches... so I pulled my CNv out of the glider yesterday.  Which means I can shoot a couple of photos or perhaps a short video of the display this evening (or next).  This will be far more useful than written description.  Please stand by....
Evan Ludeman / T8

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 05:46:04 AM »
30 second video clip http://youtu.be/iBf1jkbhIMg

Comments:  The software in use here is an internal development version, some parts of which I am hopeful will be released before too much longer.  One thing it does which probably won't be released is record and playback, which is great for tuning filters on the bench (TC set slow here to provide for a better looking video) or doing demos like you see here.   

The new audio scheme works really well for me, so I find I look at the panel very little.  When I do look for climb info on the panel, it's *always* at the orange needle, never the tape display, so I can't comment on how the tape works in flight because I haven't made myself use it.  I don't think I like the sliding scale.  It confuses the user interface imo and so I'm lobbying for an alternative scheme.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 09:33:19 AM by Evan Ludeman / T8 »
Evan Ludeman / T8

jr970

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 08:08:32 AM »
Thanks for this - I've never noticed the tape sliding up to show the negative side when in flight, but I'm probably just not looking at the panel.

Julian

PS Like the Cat !