Author Topic: ClearNav II Announcement  (Read 11427 times)

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
ClearNav II Announcement
« on: December 19, 2014, 11:58:56 AM »
Richard Kellerman, CNi President writes:

We have been working since early 2014 on the development of new ClearNav hardware and software which will significantly improve the functionality of the ClearNav Flight Computer.  The new product will be known as “ClearNav II”.

We are currently flight testing in New Zealand following an extended period of bench testing. 

ClearNav II uses a new processor which is much faster and much more capable, and a new LED backlit display.  This display is much brighter and the refresh rate is about five times faster.  Power requirements are actually slightly lower.  Response to user input is near instantaneous and zoom control is much faster.  Most importantly, we will now be able to start offering new features, including many requested by our users, something which was getting increasingly hard to do on the old hardware.

For current ClearNav owners, the good news is that the existing ClearNav can be easily upgraded to the ClearNav II.  The product external case will remain the same, so existing installations can be upgraded with a minimum of difficulty.

We expect to be able to ship ClearNav II late January.  There will be a price increase from the current $2,950 to $3,500 but we will honor orders placed before January 31 at $2,950.

The $750 “Bundle” discount still applies for customers purchasing the CNv vario and XC license at the same time they purchase the ClearNav II.

The upgrade cost to convert the original ClearNav to ClearNav II will be $1,000.  We will be offering discounts to customers who recently purchased a ClearNav.[1]  The upgrade requires that customers return the ClearNav only (no Nexus etc).  We will replace the processor and display, re-calibrate the pressure transducer, reseal the SFR, and install the required software.

We expect to be able to start shipping ClearNav II by the end of January and to be able to offer some new features, including better FLARM presentation by the end of February.  Please note that future support for the original ClearNav will be limited to bug fixes.  We will no longer  be able to add new features to the old hardware.

[1]

For purchases made after June 1, 2014:  No Charge

For purchases made prior to June 1, 2014, a discount will apply.  Upgrade prices as follows, based on invoice date:

May 2014: $200
Apr  2014: $400
Mar  2014: $600
Feb  2014: $750
Jan  2014: $800
Evan Ludeman / T8

rhatzy

Re: ClearNav II Announcement
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 07:14:28 AM »
Will it be able to show OAT? (Temperature)

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 07:38:19 AM »
ClearNav Flight computer does not have an OAT probe.  CNv-XC does.  So it is conceivable that at some point OAT could be displayed on CNII if you have input from CNvXC. 
Evan Ludeman / T8

rhatzy

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 05:24:41 AM »
I already have OAT on my CNv-XC. Would be nice if CNII could also show it on one of those little panels. Thanks

Tom5Z

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 06:29:20 PM »
Will ClearNav I get any new features?  Or will it be frozen with the current feature set?

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 07:41:03 AM »
No new features are planned for CNI.  There will be maintenance releases, as needed.
Evan Ludeman / T8

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 10:16:38 AM »
Latest:  The hardware is on hand for the first batch of CNII production and CNI=>CNII upgrades. 

Secure Flight Recorder Approval is pending resolution of some minor quibbles in software.  It's likely that first CNIIs will ship electronically sealed, but not yet IGC approved.  In that event, we expect with 99% certainty that all that will be required for those units is an in-the-field software update which you will be able to do yourself.

There are some significant new features in the works.  We're having a talk now about details and timing.  Better task management, better flarm radar tools and a thermal centering tool are on that list. 

Evan Ludeman / T8

rhatzy

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 10:38:26 AM »
So, can we send our CN1 in to upgrade to CNII now?

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 02:07:29 PM »
Call Gary @ CNi to schedule.  My info came through Richard.  Gary is the guy that turns the screws, so he's got the final say  :).

http://www.clearnav.net/main/cn-contacts.html
Evan Ludeman / T8

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 10:24:58 AM »
Update 1/28:

We're going to hold back on upgrades and new CNII shipments pending resolution of a couple of late breaking issues.  We'll ship soon, but we want to be absolutely certain hardware is in final form because warranty service is a hassle for everyone.  Thanks for your patience....
Evan Ludeman / T8

tpbjork

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 06:14:09 AM »
Days, weeks or months?

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 08:12:07 AM »
We need solutions to a couple of late breaking issues.  They don't appear to be formidable, but the product won't ship until the solutions are in the box and well tested.  So I'll guess "weeks" and I'll update when I have more info.
Evan Ludeman / T8

tkairshows

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 09:35:52 AM »
I flew the NZ Nationals with G Dale. He was testing the CNII side by side with the CNI and I have to say the screen is a lot brighter and the refresh rate was awesome. I can't comment on any differences in software as he was hogging both units in the back  ;D but I know I will be upgrading the unit I have installed in my glider as soon as they are available. 
ASG-29 (2NO)
CN display, CN XC vario, V7 vario, Nano logger, Trig transponder, Dittle radio

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 10:06:04 AM »
Update:  We're getting closer...

The thorniest issues appear to be solved, but we are not quite out the door yet. 

The new LED backlit display is busy making friends in testing.  Most users will probably find that the "power saver" variable brightness option will no longer be necessary.  CNII at high brightness uses about the same power as CNI on "low" (400 mA).  CNII at maximum brightness "requires sunglasses" according to one tester. 

Evan Ludeman / T8

Chris Hostettler

• One more climb :-)
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 01:08:15 PM »
 ;) That's fine as long as the display is not polarised in such a way that wearing polarised sunglasses darkens it. Anyway - I am happy with the brightness of the CNI (tunnel mount) as it is now. Power saving is never a bad option. Maybe we can keep it as a parameter configurable option.
Chris Hostettler
VH-XCH
CH