Author Topic: Hey JS  (Read 905 times)

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
Hey JS
« on: January 13, 2017, 10:22:44 AM »
Are you going to install that Butterfly vario side by side with CNv and give us the report?

Evan Ludeman / T8

Jim Staniforth

Re: Hey JS
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 12:20:52 PM »
Evan, the one I just bought was for a friend in Australia.
But...
Richard Kellerman has known that I've had the Air-Glide S in his old 29 for a while! The layout for the panel Rex installed a year or so ago attached.
Really like the instant winds from the Air-Glide. Yet to connect to the CN2, as they don't speak the same baud rate. I'm thinking the fast wind will screw up the amoeba. CN2 needs to poll the "302" like it does for FLARM.
Installation of the ISU (sensor unit) is not as difficult as some might think. But the tabs on it should be longer so you can get a socket on the nuts.
The Air's display is fantastic. Used the AHRS for a laugh, it works great. Has a compass of course, the mechanical one works better on a shelf than in motion.
The redundant power supply option is nice to have, for the usual plus see below re: shutting down.
Do not turn an Air-Glide off with the avionics master switch, it takes a while to get calibrated again. Must be shut down like a computer.
Nice to have TAS readout at the top of the panel while cruising near 18,000'.
I only use the CN digital display, so no mechanical needles. Can fly with either audio, they're on a DPDT toggle switch. But the Air switching from climb back to cruise is a little fast, sometimes switches while adjusting a circle.
Most important report to Richard was that at the end of the day if thermals are difficult to work (whether its pilot is rubbish, day gone to crap, or both) I'll be using the CN vario's audio.
I think they compliment each other wonderfully.
Jim

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
Re: Hey JS
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 02:26:08 PM »
Now that's what I call speedy service... lol. 

Thanks for report.
Evan Ludeman / T8