Author Topic: CNv Supported Switch Types  (Read 536 times)

jnmeade

CNv Supported Switch Types
« on: January 21, 2019, 01:48:40 PM »
I intend to wire spoiler and gear switches and connect them to the CNv.

Are there any kinds of switches the CNv will not support or any type it prefers?

I'm looking at magnetic proximity switches, in particular.

carbonprop

Re: CNv Supported Switch Types
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 09:59:06 AM »
They work in my glider.

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 12:38:09 PM »
CNv will work with almost anything.  Magnetic proximity switches marketed for burglar alarm systems (window sensors) work fine as do various mechanical limit switches.
Evan Ludeman / T8

jnmeade

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 04:03:10 PM »
How about optical switches?

What are the electrical specs of the two alarm circuits?  I assume 12V but what current?  Are the alarm circuits powered or are they only open/closed detecting?

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 04:57:00 AM »
CNv is designed to be "non-fussy", but the expectation was that people would use reed switches and suchlike.

I looked at a couple of examples at Mouser.  I see pretty high currents (>10 mA) required.  That's not going to work.

Evan Ludeman / T8

jnmeade

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 01:59:01 PM »
I appreciate the information.

I'm trying to find a switch that will give me a positive indication that the gear is both down and LOCKED in my Pipistrel Taurus.  I haven't been able to envision a way to do that with mechanical or reed switches because of the gear lock mechanism - optical switches seemed promising.  I'll go back to seeing what I can figure out with a reed switch or magnetic proximity switch.

I get the sense that many people are willing to accept a gear switch that only indicates the gear is no longer locked up.  My gear down lock is almost hidden when engaged.  It is possible to have the gear handle way back almost where it belongs but not be locked down.  I have to "bump" it to be confident it is locked.  I'd prefer to have a switch with a high degree of confidence that the gear was not only not up but was down and locked.  I'll keep looking.

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 06:09:39 PM »
Good luck with this. 

I don't think you are going to get there with magnetic proximity switches.  I have a very short throw mechanical switch on my gear handle for exactly the reason you state.  It only registers as gear down when it's locked all the way. 
Evan Ludeman / T8