Author Topic: CNII vs. Oudie  (Read 191 times)

dtarmichael

CNII vs. Oudie
« on: September 10, 2019, 07:36:56 AM »
Hello, I've been a fan of ClearNav since I first saw it and was determined to put one in a glider of my own one day.  I recently had an opportunity to start a partnership and things are going mostly smooth.  I have one partner who believes that an Oudie is the height of soaring hardware because he read somewhere that a certain well known contest pilot only uses them when he travels the world and flys other people's gliders.  I prefer an integrated design that is permanently mounted in the aircraft that doesn't require a touch screen and has a higher degree of refinement and ease of use.  While my perception is the CNII is the cat's meow it's difficult to articulate why since I have no experience with it.  Can you guys help me "sell" this to my partner?  Are there any features other than the amoeba CNII has the Oudie lacks?  Price isn't a concern for me as I am willing to pay the difference, but I imagine the resale is better with the CNII too. 
If any of you have any experience installing a CNII in an ASW24, I'd like to hear about it.

Doug

Joe G

Re: CNII vs. Oudie
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 05:26:07 AM »
Both are good.  I prefer the Clear Nav. The CN controls on the stick are easy to use and soon become second nature. No reaching for a touch screen. Tunnel mount is a nice installation if your panel has the room. Once you get the performance dialed in, the ameba pattern is an easy, quick glance and accurate  decision aid. I've never flown with the Oudie but have with an IPAQ. I now have two gliders and both have clear nav installed.

If you do install a CN, dont let direct sunlight hit on the screen for long it will burn the screen. One reason the tunnel mount is my preference.   I've seen two gliders with tilt up canopies that had burned screens after the  the canopies were open for a spell with the sun shine directly on the screen. I cover mine with a towel on the ground.
Oudie screen may do the same, I dont know.

Jim Staniforth

Re: CNII vs. Oudie
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 02:41:41 PM »
I have CN2 in the 29 and the Oudie in the Duo.
Oudie is far from sunlight readable.
The CN2 stick control is fabulous.
Jim