Author Topic: Restricted Airspace Warnings  (Read 114 times)

carbonprop

Restricted Airspace Warnings
« on: October 16, 2019, 11:02:27 AM »
Yesterday I was flying along clouds that were very close to Restricted airspace. I have also loaded some approach and departure airways that airliners use in my area to the main airspace file so I will be looking around when I approach them.  On my flight the CNII warned be about the APP/DEP airways as usual. However, I never got any warnings while flying VERY close to the restriced area later on.  I also got warnings on these airways on my return.  I did not turn “off" any airspace to my knowledge.   When I put the box into the restriced area and checked the CNII identified the airspace properly and had the appropriate altitudes (surface to unlimited). I have my CNII set to 2000 ft horizontal distance warnings and I was much closer than that as well as flying towards the boundary within that distance many times.  Anything I should double check on my settings? Thank you for your valuable time.

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
Re: Restricted Airspace Warnings
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 05:01:27 PM »
First thing to do is get some more eyes on the airspace file. 

I don't have to worry too much about airspace, so some others here might be more up to speed on airspace warning issues and how to solve.
Evan Ludeman / T8

Jim Staniforth

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 08:07:22 PM »
Which format of airspace file are you using?
TXT (Open Air) works best. SUA seems to classify airspace differently, can create problems like that.
Jim

carbonprop

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 08:16:34 AM »
I can’t find any obvious reasons.  I experimented with some made-up files centered on my location and always got an immediate voice warning as soon as the file was loaded.  I copied the data for the area in question and edited it to extend from it’s normal boundary to my location and got an immediate voice warning.  One setting I may not completely understand is “Ignore SUAs Above”.  Mine was set to 18,756.  I will change it to a higher altitude and also try the OpenAir format. The other possibilty may be GPS jamming in the area but everything seemed to be working the entire flight with no GPS dropouts.

Thank you for responding.