Author Topic: Scrollable comments area  (Read 7365 times)

Jim Staniforth

Scrollable comments area
« on: July 22, 2013, 10:51:10 AM »
  The comments area available does not have room for all comments in my database for landable airports.
I'm using Lynn Alley's website to create STX files, would like to use "long detail" but the information falls off the screen.
Using "medium detail" fits in CN but misses details like berms, cracks in runway, power lines, etc and airport phone numbers.
  Any chance of adding a scroll bar or similar function?
Thanks,
Jim

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
Re: Scrollable comments area
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 02:49:53 PM »
Good idea noted.  Unfortunately, it joins a rather long list of things we'd like to add. 
Evan Ludeman / T8

Jim Staniforth

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 03:20:55 PM »
What's the total number of characters displayed?
Meanwhile (not a short while I suppose) I'll try using long details and edit comments down to "wot fits".
Jim

Jim Staniforth

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 08:43:36 PM »
A year or so later....
  I'm building databases for the 2014 Dust Devil Dash, a contest where everyone is supposed to land out. The 2013 DDD was after the last post.
Details for airports should be able to contain all the information available, including telephone numbers if you've landed and cannot get out of the airport gates.
Please make it possible to view all of the details of navpoints.
By Saturday would be nice.
  Currently, using what on Lynn Alley's website is considered "medium" details, some things are beyond the CN viewable screen.
The "long" details are what is needed, but are useless on CN.

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 11:51:44 AM »
May I have a link to an example database, please?
Evan Ludeman / T8

Jim Staniforth

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 10:36:21 PM »
Hello Evan:
Attached are a couple of databases and two images.
V1.37 has "medium" details, which omits telephone numbers. Some airport information may still go off the screen.
V1.37L has "long" details. A bit much info but the airport manager phone numbers are included.
At airports with a lot of detail, only part of the "long" details is visible in the information box of the CN screen.
Just created a long details database, pulled the fuselage out and loaded the file.
The photos are of the airport information for Minden, in medium and long format.
Make that "photos were". They're too big. So is the long details database. Only the medium file, 103KB, will attach.
At the end of the Minden information is the gate code which isn't complete even in medium detail.
Of course it'll be a different Saturday :)
Thanks,
Jim

Jim Staniforth

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 10:52:18 PM »

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 08:08:33 AM »
For example (Bishop):

ASOS:119.025|RY 07/25:5567x100-ASPH-LGT|RY 12/30:7498x100-ASPH-LGT|RY 16/34:5600x100-ASPH-LGT|RY12/30: PVD SHOULDER 10' TO LGTS PLUS 15' TO EDGE.|RY16/34: PVD SHOULDER 10' TO LGTS PLUS 15' TO EDGE.|RY 07/25 FADED RY END MARKINGS AND CNTRLN.  CNTRLN IS HARD TO DISCERN.|RY 12/30 FADED RY END MARKINGS AND CNTRLN.  CNTRLN IS HARD TO DISCERN.|RY 16/34 FADED RY END MARKINGS AND CNTRLN.  CNTRLN IS HARD TO DISCERN.|RY16: VASI RY 16 UNUSBL BYD 1 NM.|RY30: VASI RY 30 UNUSBL BYD 1 NM.|RY34: VASI RY 34 UNUSBL BYD 1 NM.|RY25: 10' DEEP DITCH 100' FROM THR.|FUEL: 100LL A|MGR: KEN BABIONE|(760) 872-2971|COUNTY COURTHOUSE INDEPENDENCE.

Personally, I see zero value in diluting the obviously useful info (asos, phone number, gate codes, runway width) all that other clutter.  The solution is to edit the database.
Evan Ludeman / T8

Jim Staniforth

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 08:03:29 AM »
You're absolutely right. As in the earlier post, long is a bit much info.
There was no time to edit that "long" database, a few minutes old when uploaded.
Would like to make a medium details adding phone numbers version, but medium without phone numbers already doesn't fit on the screen.
Jim

Tom5Z

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 08:24:48 PM »
A partial solution is to use a smart phone app such as APOA FlyQ to get full information.  But this means using an extra device, and typing the airport name, etc...

Having a scrollable comment field, and using the vertical bar separator to generate line breaks would go a long way to making all the raw FAA data usable.

Last weekend I flew about 500 miles straight out and could have gone in any direction from north to east.  That's a lot of airport information to edit of a once a year flight.  Since information is always changing, one needs to download a current database prior to flight, so the edits I may have done last year will be lost.

As for user interface, perhaps have an option when clicking the highlight square to "see more details about current waypoint".

Jim Staniforth

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 03:24:04 PM »
CN2 does not fit even the "medium" comments of my database.
Word wrap doesn't work, so radio frequencies and airspace details often fall off the side of the display.
Jim

Jim Staniforth

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 09:53:40 AM »
This was the main thing I dreamed of having in the more capable CN2. Any chance of getting this for the upcoming season?
It's not just waypont data, airspace information is truncated too.
Currently need to run XC Soar on the phone. An odd program to fly with, but includes all details.
Jim

Bravo Zulu

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 02:49:24 PM »
I fly a pure glider and do not need to whether fuel is available.  I carry a cell phone.  I see no reason to include a phonenumber for the airport.  Runway, elevation, freq are about all i need.  I usually cull out any aairport that does not meet my landing criteria.

i would defer this feature

Jim Staniforth

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2015, 10:08:55 PM »
Perhaps the subject should include "wrapping" text. Details of only one line could still go off the screen.

Note in my October 08 2015 post that CN2 does not fit "medium" details.
Not "medium+fuel", just "medium".

I manage a database that covers much of CA, NV, AZ, UT, into OR, ID and WY that many people use, so must make all the information available. Shouldn't have to edit several hundred entries at each charting cycle just because one system is incapable of displaying it.
It's unfortunate that I have an incapable system.

Fuel isn't needed but many other details are.
Obstructions, runway widths, a complete list of radio frequencies, control tower operating hours, etc.
To this I add some local information like gate codes so you can tell the retrieve crew how to get in.
Note the September 4th post, Medium details plus local info for Minden doesn't fit.

For airspace, why would anyone want less than all of the ATC frequencies? You can't get in without asking on the right frequency.
Much of that runs off the edge of the screen of CN2, using standard airspace info.
This problem needs attention.
Jim