Author Topic: Does the SD card slot work?  (Read 4528 times)

Eric Greenwell

Does the SD card slot work?
« on: December 20, 2013, 03:57:46 PM »
Does the SD card slot on the left side of the CN work? I've never tried it, and my CN isn't where I can get to it easily. I'd like to use an SD card to retrieve flights and install waypoints, using my iPad mini, which has an SD card adapter.

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
Re: Does the SD card slot work?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 05:26:04 AM »
Such confidence...

I think the design predates SDHC cards, I've got an email into Gary about that.  But it should be fine with any plain vanilla SD card.
Evan Ludeman / T8

Eric Greenwell

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 08:18:09 AM »
The manual only mentions the USB stick, and not the use of an SD card that I can find, and a search in the forum didn't find any mention of the SD card, either, so I got the impression it might not be functional. If it is functioning, that will save me some trouble.

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 11:17:08 AM »
Gary says...

"It's a clone of the USB port. Same functionality--max size 4GB."

Evan Ludeman / T8

SHAMROCK

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 09:46:58 AM »
I have used the USB and the SD card slot and both work the same for downloading files.

Eric Greenwell

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 12:15:19 PM »
I have used the USB and the SD card slot and both work the same for downloading files.

Excellent! I can get an adapter cable for iPad mini that accepts an SD card, but I don't know it would download an IGC file from it (no problem with photos - other files are problematic, according to the vendors). I did notice now that I have SeeYou installed on the mini, the Safari browser is willing to download IGC files from the OLC, and IGC files as email attachments are sent to SeeYou.

Time to trot over to the Apple dealer with an SD card to try with one of their cables.

Eric Greenwell

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 03:25:53 PM »
I just tried an SD card (128 MB - plain vanilla older card) in the CN. The CN did not recognize in on boot-up or when I tried download flight files. Does that mean my SD slot is not working? Is there another way to test it?

Update: I tried a 256 MB card, and that does work, so it appears to be an incompatibility between my 128 MB card and the ClearNav. I'll use the 256 MB card from now on.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 03:54:21 PM by Eric Greenwell »

Jared

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 07:12:53 AM »
Does the SD card slot work on CNII?  I've tried several different cards with no luck. 

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 07:43:16 AM »
CN II does not have an SD card holder. 

As an aside... pretty much any USB drive works in CNII.  CN2 has none of the size/brand issues that CN1 (and many other small computer devices) had.
Evan Ludeman / T8