Author Topic: Using an iPad mini with ClearNav  (Read 4151 times)

Eric Greenwell

Using an iPad mini with ClearNav
« on: December 21, 2013, 04:36:01 PM »
I want to use my iPad mini to retrieve flight logs and upload waypoints to my ClearNav and CN vario (I have the CN but not yet the CNv). Once I have the flight log, I want to send it to the OLC. What's the best way to do this?

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
Re: Using an iPad mini with ClearNav
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 06:24:32 PM »
I looked over Apple's website on the ipad & mini.  You may well be out of luck.  The SD card and USB host adapters appear to be geared towards harvesting photo and video files *only*. 

There is some small possibility that if you plug your lightning / usb cable into CN your ipad will be addressable as a USB storage device.  I am not holding my breath on this one. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 06:45:33 PM by Evan Ludeman / T8 »
Evan Ludeman / T8

Eric Greenwell

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 09:06:49 PM »
There is some small possibility that if you plug your lightning / usb cable into CN your ipad will be addressable as a USB storage device.  I am not holding my breath on this one.

I've tried that, and it gives you access to the folders with the pictures taken by the iPad camera (or any photo that ends up in those folders), but I can only copy from the folder, not add to it.

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 11:12:40 AM »
Things probably become much more possible with jailbreak plus cydia (I think that's the name) apps.  Not really my department. 
Evan Ludeman / T8

tkairshows

ASG-29 (2NO)
CN display, CN XC vario, V7 vario, Nano logger, Trig transponder, Dittle radio

Eric Greenwell

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 01:41:13 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-AirStash-Expandable-Capacity-666601/dp/B006473T92

This might work?

It does get around the lack of an SD and USB port on the iPad, but (my understanding) not the "file fussiness" of the iPad, which doesn't willingly accept files other than photos. Now that I have SeeYou installed on the iPad, the browser is willing to download an IGC file from the OLC and put it into SeeYou. Maybe it would do the same thing off an SD card, and then SeeYou will send it to the OLC.

If I try to download software updates from the CN site, I get the message "Safari can't download this file". That's a show stopper for doing updates. I can email txt, SUA, and DAT files to the iPad, but it won't let me do anything with them except more email. It will let me choose SeeYou to receive a CUP file. Perhaps there must be an application on the iPrad that specifically uses those files before it will let you "put" them anywhere.