Author Topic: Go To Waypoint - provide history of recent waypoints  (Read 6394 times)

Tom5Z

Go To Waypoint - provide history of recent waypoints
« on: October 24, 2012, 10:55:22 AM »
I would like to be able to have quick access to a short list of recent waypoints I've selected as "Go To" targets.

For example, I'm on a long straight out flight, so I either scroll through the list or zoom out and pan to find my goal and select it.  Next, I pick a closer goal, and am now able to flip flop between these TWO quite easily using the GoTo menu and pick the first item.  But if I add a 3rd (or 4th) alternate, I lose the ability to quickly access one of these 3 or more waypoints.

It would be nice if the first N (where N is perhaps user selectable) waypoints on the GoTo list were the ones most recently selected as targets.

Joe

Re: Go To Waypoint - provide history of recent waypoints
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 06:24:02 PM »
It would be nice if the first N (where N is perhaps user selectable) waypoints on the GoTo list were the ones most recently selected as targets.

I agree.  Also, it would be nice to sort those N waypoints so that they are ranked by distance or arrival height.

Joe

Eric Greenwell

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 08:48:11 PM »
I'm with Joe and Tom. I'd like the list to be AT LEAST 3, and 4 would take care of almost every situation. They should be ranked by arrival height, and the arrival height should be displayed.

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 08:35:30 AM »
I use this functionality on my 303 display constantly.  In fact, I won't take the 302+303 out of my glider until I can do the same thing on CN. 
Evan Ludeman / T8

Tom5Z

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 01:04:33 PM »
So even Evan thinks this was a good idea more than 3 years ago.

What do the developers think?

Why hasn't this been implemented?

Bravo Zulu

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 02:35:04 PM »
The typical response from CN is something like, "we have other priorities ".

Tom5Z

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 04:34:30 PM »
Would be nice to know what they are...

I certainly see no need to upgrade to CN II if all I get is better performance, but no improvement.

Eric Greenwell

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 09:13:02 AM »
I certainly see no need to upgrade to CN II if all I get is better performance, but no improvement.

My current calculation:

1) I can upgrade my CN1 to a CN2 for $1000, and hope that the desired features appear before the 2016 soaring season

OR

2) I can buy iGlide Pro and an iPhone 6+ to run it on for $850 total, and immediately have the desired features

With Option 2, I still have a CN1 I can sell for a net zero cost, or keep it as a backup.

I plan to be at the SSA convention, where I hope ClearNav will wow me with their new developments for the CN2!

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 11:55:43 AM »
If you want cheap, just go buy an old Dell Streak 5 for $100 and load XCSoar. 

I'm not aware of an iOS device that has a display bright enough to be even minimally acceptable in the cockpit. 
Evan Ludeman / T8

Tom5Z

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 07:15:05 PM »
I think that Eric is saying that he could spend $1000 for a pretty new CN II that's still missing features the original CN I should have had, or spend a little less for a second display to provide the missing features.

I really like the the CN user interface and map display, but the rough edges are still showing.

Eric Greenwell

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 08:33:56 PM »
If you want cheap, just go buy an old Dell Streak 5 for $100 and load XCSoar. 

I'm not aware of an iOS device that has a display bright enough to be even minimally acceptable in the cockpit.

I'm after "very good", not cheap. My point is CN2 is a poor value now because it's way behind in the features I want, and I don't want to invest in a CN2 upgrade if I have to wait, and wait, and wait for the features. I've been waiting for 3 to 4 years, and I'm not going to wait any more.

You really should find someone with an iPhone 6, then take it outside with a map on it. It's very good.The iPhone 6 has a 4.7" display; for $100 more, the iPhone 6+ has a 5.5" display. I use Foreflight on my iPhone 6, and I'm still amazed at how bright it is - far better than my iPad mini I also use with Foreflight. Sectionals, terrain, menus, all show up as well or better than my CN1, and the display is a sharper, higher resolution with a terrific color range.

Foreflight on my iPhone is what got me thinking iGlide would be good choice, so in January I'll get iGlide Lite for ~$40 to try inflight. A simple holder will let it sit beside the CN1 so I can compare the two easily.