Author Topic: Charge iPad from CN USB port?  (Read 5288 times)

Eric Greenwell

Charge iPad from CN USB port?
« on: March 28, 2014, 12:38:46 PM »
Can the USB connector on the CNv be used to charge an iPad mini?

Same question for the USB connector on CN display?

Is it safe to just try it, or is there a chance the USB port could be damaged?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 12:40:35 PM by Eric Greenwell »

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
Re: Charge iPad from CN USB port?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 07:19:17 AM »
Checking into this...

I am guessing that the answer is "no, you cannot do this", but it will be useful to know whether there is a risk of damage.  Charging current demands are pretty high and I'd be quite surprised if our instruments were designed with power supplies big enough to accomplish this safely.  Scads of C-302s have had power supplies burned up by charging loads from devices powered on the 5V external supply because (almost) no one ever fused it on the outlet side like Cambridge specifically stated you needed to...

In any event, you have other options.  On ebay, you can buy a 2 outlet USB charging socket for less than $15 that is powered by 12VDC. 
Evan Ludeman / T8

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 11:31:41 AM »
Update:  Both CN and CNv can supply a maximum of 400 mA through the USB port.  Do not attempt to exceed this current. 

My reading of Apple's documentation suggests that when plugged into a standard USB port iPad will charge at 500 mA (with a dedicated charger it can be up to 2.1 amps).  In any case, the answer is an unequivocal

No, do not plug your iPad into a CN or CNv USB port under any circumstances!

Oh, and thank you so very much for asking first :).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 11:35:18 AM by Evan Ludeman / T8 »
Evan Ludeman / T8

Eric Greenwell

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 12:47:11 PM »
I've read iPads/minis/iPhones will refuse to charge from a low power USB port, so damage may be avoided; in any case, 400 ma is too low too work.

The glider (Phoenix U/15) has a power socket that accepts a charger that works fine. Panel placement isn't as good, but ok.

W3Racing

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 10:21:25 PM »
Just install one of these, works a treat - great for charging the phone in the paddock if need be, or in many cases, allows hours and hours of music while waiting ;)

http://store.swiftavionics.com.au/colibri-2-charger-interface/

Cheers,
WPP

Eric Greenwell

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 05:08:34 AM »
The picture is so dark, I can't see it well. Does it have a USB port, and how much current can it deliver? My iPad mini needs 1 amp to charge properly.

W3Racing

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 05:42:41 AM »
Affirm, it converts power from your glider batteries to a USB output.  Not sure on the current that it delivers, but can write an e-mail to the Swift Avionics and find out for you.  It certainly has no issues with charging my iPhone 5 while waiting in a paddock.

Cheers,
WPP

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 07:59:18 AM »
Hundreds of options.  Here's one for $16 from Amazon.

Evan Ludeman / T8

Jim Staniforth

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 10:05:42 PM »
The USB power adapter in Evan's photo is also available at Powerwerx.com, the best place to get Anderson PowerPoles and associated power distribution.
Jim

Eric Greenwell

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 07:20:24 AM »
Since I asked the question, I've seen it come up in other forums, such the Dynon SKyView forum (SkyView is the "glass panel" that's installed in my Phoenix). Dynon's response was "muted horror"; essentially, "why do you want to use a $5000-$10,000 instrumentation and autopilot system to charge something, and risk interfering with it's operation?".

They made the same recommendations Evan has made. Since the Phoenix has two power sockets (aka "cigar lighter" socket), I've used plug in chargers for the inReach, iPad, and cell phones. I think the Phoenix dealer may now also be installing panel units like the one above if the customer insists on a dedicated USB power outlet.