Author Topic: Compute finish altitude for FAI tasks  (Read 8164 times)

Tom5Z

Compute finish altitude for FAI tasks
« on: July 06, 2015, 06:47:45 PM »
I'm really surprised this not already a feature, or at least requested...

A FAI task allows the finish to be as much as 1000m lower than the start.  But the ClearNav provides no assistance to a pilot attempting to use this "free" altitude.

After crossing the start line, I'm provided with a start time, but not start altitude.  The last thing I want to be doing is watching the altimeter - that's the computer's job.  Actually, I shouldn't be looking at the map either.  The CN should provide some sort of countdown followed by "MARK" as I cross the line.  This allows for a high speed dive and pull up to gain yet more energy at the start.

Now, the next thing that should happen is for the CN to adjust the finish altitude to my start altitude minus 1000m.  So as I complete the task, I'm gliding to the bottom of the finish line.

Perhaps it could duplicate the finish point, prepend the string "FINISH" and modify the displayed task to use this waypoint instead.  The declared task, of course, remains unchanged.

Kilo Foxtrot

Re: Compute finish altitude for FAI tasks
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 06:17:01 AM »
Yes--this is a feature my Oudie had which I found useful for Badge/Record flights. Would definitely be nice along with having all waypoints available as Turnpoints for FAI flight.

pavel621

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 10:24:09 AM »
I do fly only declared task so 1000m FAI rule is must for me. If you add this feature you have new customer. 1000 m rule is used in every badge, record or FAI speed task so I need to fly final glide to not to break this rule. pavel

W3Racing

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 04:05:56 PM »
I'd like to see this incorporated too.

Cheers,
WPP

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 05:21:03 PM »
Yep, it's a good idea.
Evan Ludeman / T8

pavel621

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 05:42:41 AM »
I have just got my ClearNav this week and I can not find FAI final glide settings mentioned in above posts. When you plan to add this settings? Is it somewhere else than in final glide settings?  If I do not round all my turn points than final glide to 1000 ft above field is fine but in racing task I need 1000m finish rule applied.Thank you pavel

Chris Hostettler

• One more climb :-)
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 12:20:22 PM »
To my knowledge you can set the arrival height in the final glide settings. At least thats how it works in my CN2
Chris Hostettler
VH-XCH
CH

pavel621

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 05:58:54 PM »
Yes, I know that Chris. If you read first post of this topic from Tom5Z -After crossing the start line, I'm provided with a start time, but not start altitude.  The last thing I want to be doing is watching the altimeter - that's the computer's job.  Actually, I shouldn't be looking at the map either.  The CN should provide some sort of countdown followed by "MARK" as I cross the line.  This allows for a high speed dive and pull up to gain yet more energy at the start.

Now, the next thing that should happen is for the CN to adjust the finish altitude to my start altitude minus 1000m.  So as I complete the task, I'm gliding to the bottom of the finish line.

So lets say for example  I am crossing start line at 2530m so I should not finish lower than 1530 m. I do not have time after start to go to settings and manually enter 1530m finish altitude. I  wrote that altitude with Sharpie on my bare leg or arm 30 years ago.... pavel

Tom5Z

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 09:01:16 PM »
I just realized that all the CN has to do is adjust the finish altitude for the task.  I could even do this myself - if I just knew what altitude I crossed the start line.

JT

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 02:19:20 PM »
I'm very surprised that CN does not have this feature.
Well said, explained by Pavel.
JT

Jim Staniforth

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 09:44:36 AM »
Another overdue improvement.
It's too easy to push on final glide of a big task then realise you finished below the 1% rule. Where's the "at least I can remember your start altitude you idiot" button?
Jim

pavel621

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 08:30:39 AM »
Because I did not get clear answers on this forum regarding feature request ,I paid $500 plus to stop and talk to ClearNav representatives at 2016 SSA convention.
ClearNav representative told me that FAI 1000m rule is not their priority at this time and his recommendation was either remember this altitude or write it down on knee board.
I paid close to $5000 for ClearNav instruments couple of months ago and no I am  not going to find my old wooden knee board from early 90..... Pavel

Jim Staniforth

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 08:56:48 AM »
Bugger!

Jim

SteveKoerner

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 08:57:30 AM »
I would very much like to see the mentioned FAI task support.   I fly FAI tasks and have been frustrated by this difficulty many times.   Things happen fast when you're blasting across the start line at near redline.  It's impossible to note the start altitude manually with the needed precision.  Resulting uncertainty forces one to throw away a bunch of altitude at the finish.

JT

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 07:36:22 PM »
Hello CN chief aren't you embarrassed ?
We are waiting since July 2015, for basic feature.   
We are paying big bucks for product which does not meet essential needs.
We, as your financial supporters are completely ignored by silence from the management,
plus immature, unprofessional behavior demonstrated by
CN representative at SSA Convention,
Every existing software including those "free" has FAI 1000m rule,
WinPilot I believe was the first one almost 20 years ago.
If you do not know how to do it, ask WinPilot founder Jerry Plaszowiecki.
Marek (JT)