Author Topic: Features  (Read 2699 times)

westbrook

Features
« on: March 08, 2016, 05:09:48 PM »
Like many on here, I would like more options to customize. These are the features I would like to see implemented:

1) Team Code - Feature SeeYou has had for at least 11 years (I used it in the 2005 Jr Worlds) and useful for contest flying when allowed and local fun flying. Makes it a lot easier than saying, "UN climbing 5 kts over the brown field"

2) Ability to have glide to your next turnpoint and to finish. In my last setup I had an SN-10 for glide to finish and an Oudie with glide to the next turn. This assists in my upwind/downwind planning. If I know I can make my next upwind turnpoint with a reasonable margin I may push on to grab a climb after I hit the turnpoint.

3)  FAI finish option of 1,000M below start height

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
Re: Features
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 05:47:10 PM »
Glide to TP/Finish is on the ribbon menu...

How many characters comprise a typical team code entry... and how practical do you think that is with CN's remote control?  That's a serious question.  I haven't had a chance to try this.

Presume you've seen that other thread about FAI task stuff...
Evan Ludeman / T8

westbrook

Re: Features
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 08:01:55 AM »
Thanks for the response. To set up the SeeYou Team Code you must first select a waypoint and set a password as a reference. Any pilots using the same team code must use the same password ensuring it is secure during competitions and the waypoint acts as a reference point for calculations.

The team code is a 4 digit entry that is always displayed in a box. If you are providing your code to another pilot you can radio "Glider 1 is at Tango, Foxtrot, One, Alpha". They would select their team code box and enter the code and it would draw a line to the coordinates.

I don't know how accurate the SeeYou code is but they seem to use both number and letter combinations and be fairly close. Since it would have to be entered using the remote on a ClearNav, maybe you don't go as far as an exact coordinate but a one mile area. If I can get within a mile of a sailplane, that is fairly close since we're always moving. If you limit the Team Code to numbers, that gives you 10,000 combinations with 4 digits or 100,000 with 5 (or keep it at 4 entries but add "A,B,C" to increase combinations but minimize scrolling). If you can cover 100,000 square miles around the home airport, that's the size of Colorado and in 99% of flights should be enough.

If you did limit the number of combinations, I don't think it would be any more heads down time than changing a waypoint in a task for a MAT or entering it with a touch screen.

The LX9000 series has the same team code but uses a remote entry instead of a touchscreen - that is another reference to use. The goal would be to use this one or two times in a flight. Not all the time.