Author Topic: CN II + Cambridge 302 IGC File Download  (Read 1890 times)

cemx86

CN II + Cambridge 302 IGC File Download
« on: June 05, 2017, 09:21:00 AM »
I have a CNII communicating with my Cambridge 302. 

Both units are flight recorders.  But downloading flights directly from the C302 involves getting to the back of the unit, serial adapters, etc - not fun.   

I read somewhere that there was the ability of CNII to download C302 flights?  Any truth to that?  I cannot find a reference to it in the CNII "manuals".

Thanks, John "OHM"
Thanks, John OHM Ω

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
Re: CN II + Cambridge 302 IGC File Download
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 12:45:28 PM »
CN1 did this.  CN2 no longer supports that capability (CN2 is a better flight recorder, so presumably your 302 is backup, yes?).

Here's what I used:

USB/serial adapter --  http://tinyurl.com/yaqbwdle
and a DB-9 straight through male/female extension cable http://tinyurl.com/ybwjsrwa
(the keyspan adapter will not go directly on the 302 due to mechanical constraints, which is why the extension cable)

This can all stay hooked up to the 302 and live in the glider.  To D/L to a laptop, plug in the USB and use Cambridge utility. 

Evan Ludeman / T8

cemx86

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 09:22:37 AM »
Evan,

Thanks for the information which is what I had thought was the situation.  Routinely getting to the rear of the C302 means removing my canopy (ASW27).  Even if I added a panel mounted connector to easily extend the C302's rear DB connector, I would still have to drag out a laptop to do the download.  It's just not worth it!
Thanks, John OHM Ω

BobWa

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 05:12:03 AM »
Evan,
   Why in the world would one remove a functioning utility?  I for one would like the ability to download flight files from the Cambridge 302 without having to complicate the wiring and drag along a laptop.  I would guess other users would too.  Is there any chance this capability could be reinstated?

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 06:45:51 AM »
It seems pretty unlikely at this point. 

I have to ask:  if you have a CN2, what do you want with a 302 flight log (except for back up, of course, but this should be an unusual and rare circumstance)?  302 lost its all-flights igc cert a while ago, most won't even return a valid file unless they've had an expensive GPS repair. 
Evan Ludeman / T8

BobWa

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 08:30:55 AM »
My question would be if you have the utility why remove it?  Back ups  are good, you never know when they may come in handy.