Author Topic: CNv Task - What Observation Zones Are Used?  (Read 176 times)

nallison

CNv Task - What Observation Zones Are Used?
« on: October 03, 2020, 05:26:39 PM »
Hi,

Please point me to the info that describes the Observation Zones used when entering tasks into the CNv XC as, I'm sorry, I've not found it.

I'm starting to fly a club glider that has a CNv XC with a CNvS.  Before I go to our local regional contest, I'd like to be sure I understand what type of Start, TP and Finish OZ the CNv uses when I enter a task.  I am guessing/presuming:
  • 1 km Start Line
  • 500m radius cylinder for TP
  • 1 km Finish Line
From what I've read so far I think that the OZ size and type are not configurable for the CNv?

Thank you for any guidance you can offer.

Kind regards
Neil
Christchurch, New Zealand

Evan Ludeman / T8

• Administrator
Re: CNv Task - What Observation Zones Are Used?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 04:27:12 AM »
You're correct.  At present only FAI specification start & finish lines (1 km) and turn point sectors (5mm radius barrel, 90 degree sector) are supported.

Evan Ludeman / T8

nallison

Re: CNv Task - What Observation Zones Are Used?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 09:39:44 PM »
Hi Evan,

Thank you for your helpful reply. 

I now understand that CNv turn point OZs are a combination of both the 500 m radius cylinder and the 90 degree sector, a.k.a. the Thistle.

I did see this in the ClearNav forum topic "FAI badge and record turnpoints READ ME" but wasn't sure if it also applied to the Variometer.

<snip> ClearNav combines these Observation Zones into an "FAI thistle" which shows both the photo sector and the 500m radius cylinder.  As soon as you enter either of these observation zones, CN will update the "Destination" box to the next objective in your task.

Thank you,
Neil