Author Topic: GPS antenna splitter  (Read 465 times)

MarianneGuerin

GPS antenna splitter
« on: May 08, 2022, 08:21:40 AM »
I want to purchase a splitter so I have a single GPS antenna for CN II and CNv - what do I need to consider?

carbonprop

Re: GPS antenna splitter
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 07:34:10 AM »
We installed one from Craggy in Eric Bick’s Carat which seems to be working well.

Jim Staniforth

Re: GPS antenna splitter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 03:57:46 PM »
Installed dividers in several gliders.
If you have a GPS antenna that can take higher voltage and are not connecting a Trig TN72 to the divider, you do not need any DC blockers.
If connecting a Trig then use a DC block on it. The TN72 will put noise on the line if not DC blocked. Don't think I tried with the TN70 install.
Using DC blocks, losing the device which powers the antenna will take down GPS to other devices on that divider. Power up the device which provides phantom power to the antenna before the others, as they won't get position until that device is on.
I prefer to keep two flight computers on separate antennas in case of a failure of one antenna. For example, FLARM and CN2 on one antenna and divider, Trig and CNv on another. Or three devices on one antenna and either CN2 or CNv on its own (my current setup).
The best dividers I've used are made by MECA. They have 2-way, 3-way and 4-way dividers. This part number is their 0.8 - 2.2GHz 3-way with SMA female ports:
MCA803-2-1.500V
I buy them through Talley in Los Angeles, talleycom.com. MECA do not sell direct but will drop ship.
Craggy can provide custom cables. Talley can too.
DC blocks are available from Mouser or DigiiKey.
Unfortunately the 12v GPS antenna I've used is no longer manufactured. Linx ANT-GPS-SH-SMA. Looked like someone bought the remaining stock and was selling on E-Bay. I tried to buy some, but the seller disappeared. The new part number with a 2 or B in it is not 12v.
Jim